- Fisheries observer deaths at sea, human rights, and the role and responsibilities of fisheries organisations, Human Rights at Sea, July 2020
- Information paper on labour rights in the fishing industry (the case of unpaid salary disputes on fishing vessels), paper presented to WCPFC 16th session, December 2019
- Harmonised minimum terms and conditions for access by fishing vessels, FFA, amended 2019; includes rules for protecting the health and safety of observers and of crew
- Trainee observers may find these documents useful: the WCPFC conservation and management measure (CMM) for the Regional Observer Programme (ROP), the standards and guidelines for the ROP, and the observer’s handbook on CMMs.
- To reduce bycatch of seabirds, organisations need enough (and quality) data about seabird bycatch to review the measures. This 2016 paper talks about what data is needed from observer programmes to improve the knowledge of fishery impacts on albatrosses and petrels.
- Improving fishery monitoring programmes was the theme of the 2016 International Fisheries Observer and Monitoring Conference. These proceedings cover improving and promoting effective fishery-monitoring programmes to ensure sustainable resource management worldwide.
- Survey of human observer programs for purse seine vessels and a set of best practices, ISSF, April 2018. This report surveys national, regional and sub-regional observer programs being used in the Pacific, Indian and Atlantic Oceans.
- Global Fishing Watch and Pew unveil technology to accelerate transhipment reform, Global Fishing Watch, July 2020
- Transhipment monitoring portal brings transparency to fishing industry, Global Fishing Watch, July 2020
- In focus: the story of transhipment, Global Fishing Watch and Pew Charitable Trusts
- Fishing Industry Safety Health Event Reporting (FISHER) Project, aims to record and analyse fishing accidents and fishing-related deaths to improve fishers’ occupational health and safety
- In 2015, an international bill of rights and codes of conduct for responsible observer programmes was published by the Association for Professional Observers. It covers welfare, professionalism, employment terms and wages, health and safety, professional development, and the responsibilities of observers and the employers of observers.
Posters & videos
- The Oceanic Fisheries Programme of the Pacific Community has set up a playlist of videos for observers of the Pacific Island Regional Fisheries Observers (PIRFO) that give insights into the work observers do.