- Documents useful for trainee observers include the CMM for the Regional Observer Programme, the programme standards and guidelines, and observer handbook about the CMMs.
- To reduce bycatch of seabirds, organisations need enough (and quality) data about seabird bycatch to review the measures. This 2016 paper talks about what data is needed from observer programmes to improve the knowledge of fishery impacts on albatrosses and petrels.
- Improving fishery monitoring programmes was the theme of the 2016 International Fisheries Observer and Monitoring Conference. These proceedings cover developing, promoting and enhancing effective fishery monitoring programmes to ensure sustainable resource management worldwide.
- Survey of Human Observer Programs for Purse Seine Vessels and a Set of Best Practices, ISSF, April 2018. This report surveys a number of national and/or regional or sub-regional observer programs in place and in use in the Atlantic, Pacific and Indian Oceans, and it develops a set of best practices for human observer programs for purse seine vessels.
- The 2015 International Observer Bill of Rights and Codes of Conduct for Responsible Observer Programmes was published by the Association for Professional Observers and covers welfare, professionalism, employment terms, health, safety, wages, professional development, and observer and stakeholder responsibilities.