- Fishing problems: Illegal, unreported and unregulated (IUU) fishing, WWF Pacific, 2011
- How WCPFC enforces the rules, Forum Fisheries Agency, 2011
- Harmonised minimum terms and conditions for access by fishing vessels, FFA, amended 2019; includes rules for protecting the health and safety of observers and of crew
- Study highlights transhipment problems, solution in world’s biggest tuna fishery (in WCPO), Pew Charitable Trusts, November 2019
- WCPO transhipment business ecosystem study, MRAG Asia Pacific, October 2019
- Report on the international workshop on mitigating environmental impacts of tropical tuna purse seine fisheries, International Seafood Sustainability Foundation, April 2019
- Tuna RFMO authorised vessel lists: A comparative analysis to identify best practices, ISSF, January 2019
- Combatting IUU fishing: Continual improvement and best practices for IUU listing measures in tuna RFMOs, ISSF, January 2019
- Strengthening tuna RFMO transshipment regulations, ISSF, January 2019
- Tuna RFMO compliance assessment processes: A comparative analysis to identify best practices, ISSF, April 2018
- Survey of the treatment of support/supply/tender vessels, ISSF, April 2018
- RFMO vessel monitoring systems: A comparative analysis to identify best practices, ISSF, April 2018
- Regional MCS evaluation, FFA, 2016; a report into the current evaluation strategy, with recommendations on how to make it stronger
- Towards the quantification of illegal, unreported and unregulated (IUU) fishing in the Pacific Islands region, FFA, February 2016
- Standard for assessing transparency in information on compliance with obligations of regional fisheries management organizations: Validation through assessment of the Western and Central Pacific Fisheries Commission, E. Gilman and E. Kingma, University of Wollongong, 2013
- Three ways fisheries managers can pivot on monitoring, control and surveillance, ISSF, July 2020
- Global Fishing Watch and Pew unveil technology to accelerate transhipment reform, Global Fishing Watch, July 2020
- Transhipment monitoring portal brings transparency to fishing industry, Global Fishing Watch, July 2020
- In focus: the story of transhipment, Global Fishing Watch and Pew Charitable Trusts
- Life below water: ensuring sustainable consumption and production of seafood, Global Fishing Watch, April 2020
- Study highlights transhipment problems, solutions in world’s biggest tuna fishery, Pew Charitable Trusts, November 2019
- FFA wins top prize in global competition to end illegal, unreported and unregulated fishing, FFA, February 2019. You can watch a video about FFA’s winning approach below.
- Towards the quantification of IUU fishing in the Pacific Islands region, a summary of the study, with commentary, by Francisco Blaha on his blog, March 2016
Posters & videos
- In this video, FFA staff discuss the agency’s approach to tackling illegal, unreported and unregulated fishing in their waters. They won the 2019 Stop Illegal, Unreported and Unregulated Fishing competition for their approach. FFA Director General Dr Manu Tupou-Roosen says in the video that the key to their success is cooperation, “our Pacific way”. People interviewed describe how that cooperation works, and talk about their increasing success with the use of electronic reporting and surveillance (10.24 mins).
- The European Union’s Commission for Fisheries and Maritime Affairs, Maria Damanaki, explains that the EU’s new compliance rules, which use electronic methods of tracing fish “from the net to the plate”, will help stop illegal fishing (2.27 mins).
Ferral Lasi, from the Ministry of Fisheries and Marine Resources of Solomon Islands, talks about his country meeting EU regulations and improving food security and capacity, and access to trade and exports (1.37 mins).
Nikolasi Apinelu, from the Ministry for Natural Resources of Tuvalu, talks at an OFMP2 project forum about matching reported and IUU fishing levels, and stock status, for his country (1.39 mins).